Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Ayurvedic Massage

As part of our list of things to do, we had to make sure we had an Ayurvedic massage. There are different types of massage from full body to just a head massage, all of which use extensive oils. Stu and I decided that we’d give this a go in Fort Cochin. From the pictures, we decided to have a full body massage, which is given by two people in synchronisation and lasts about 45 minutes.

We arrived at the Ayurvedic centre and I was taken upstairs to the ladies’ rooms and Stu was led away to the men’s rooms. Once upstairs and I was instructed to strip – all off! I certainly wasn’t expecting that. Then I sat down on a mat and was massaged from head-to-toe by two ladies. The massage was vigorous in places and very relaxing in others. I just shut my eyes, relaxed and let them get on with it. The ladies weren’t shy and the massage went over every inch of my body – all I could think of was a naked Stu sat downstairs having the same treatment (which made me giggle).

At the end of it, I was covered in oil – literally dripping! I was given a bar of soap and towel and shown the way to the shower. It took me about 10 minutes to scrub the oil off me, but I emerged a glowing, relaxed, new Nicky.

I met Stu downstairs, who seemed a little stunned by the nakedness of it all. We weren’t expecting to be naked – all the pictures of the massage were of people with their pants on! It is probably something that we would do again though.

No comments: