Thursday, March 29, 2007

Fun And Games On The Trains

We left our beach resort and headed to the train station for some fun and games on a local train. We had a bit of trouble working out which carriage we were supposed to be in and had to run down the platform with our backpacks in tow. We were almost at our carriage (with all the other Indians) as the train started to move. Ever resourceful I jumped on the train and pulled my heavy pack up only to turn around to find that Stuart wasn't there. I looked out the train and found Stuart looking dazed and confused walking up the platform.

I had a moment of panic as I stood all alone on a train, without my ticket. The only positive thing was that I had landed myself in an air conditioned carriage which allowed me to compose myself and meet some other travellers, who had also jumped on the wrong carriage in a hurry.

As we came to the next stop, the train master said that me and my new friends had to go our carriage - the hot, smelly one crammed with all the locals. We jumped off the train, I had a quick scan for Stu, but no sign of him so we ran very quickly to the next carriage, forcing ourselves on with our elbows. I suddenly realised why Stu had missed the train as the carriage was brimming with people and there simply wasn't any room (this was after 30 or so Indians had piled out). We stood for the next couple of stops, moving out the way as local vendors sold chai and other wares between the stops.

A couple of hours later we came to our destination - Alleppey. I left my new friends and went to the guesthouse that we had booked earlier that day. Luckily I had made the reservation that morning, so I knew where to go (normally Stu does it). I sat and waited for Stu, whilst the young Indian men running the hostel doted on my every need.

An hour later, a worried Stu arrived at the guesthouse. A rickshaw journey, bumpy bus ride and another rickshaw later, we were reunited and he tucked into my leftover biryani.

No comments: