Friday, November 24, 2006

The Three R´s

Stuart and I are really enjoying working with the kids. They´re challenging, but its very rewarding. We´ve both had to brush up on our long multiplication, long division (I had forgotten how hard that is, and avoid the kids who have it for homework) and all sorts of other complex maths stuff, which I never use now. Stu is in his element though and has been having great fun doing maths and making stuff with the kids.

My favourite part is reading with the kids. It´s something they really enjoy as well as it´s 10 minutes one-to-one and am opportunity for them to really show us what they can do. It´s obvious that they don´t get this time at home with their parents, who are probably busy at work or looking after the rest of the family. Afterwards the kids look really pleased with themselves and quite proud. I underestimated how much one-to-one time makes a difference to a childs confidence and self-esteem. I suppose it´s something that we took for granted growing up.

No comments: